Vivez Bien * Live Well

Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Aesthete's Alphabet - J is for Jugs


 
I have long had an obsession with jugs. I have been collecting white and cream ones for many years but have now finally forced myself to stop. The withdrawal has been hard. I seem to be drawn to them, like a moth to a flame. If I came across a giant one like this one below, I know that I would fall off the wagon!
 
 


I justify it ....saying to myself, or anyone who cares to listen....that they have such varied uses...as vases for flowers, containers for cutlery on the table, as a holder for wooden spoons next to the stove, for watering pot plants, filling bird baths, I could go on and on. But if I am honest, mine are mostly decorative.


When I first started oil painting classes may years ago, my first paintings (see below) were of jugs. Anyone visiting our house would be instructed by my sweet husband to "come and see my wife's jugs" !?! I suspect the male visitors were always somewhat disappointed!
 
 


But enough of my prattle, I will let you enjoy these images quietly on your own...































 


I will end this post with a picture of a painting my favourite artist, art teacher and friend, Belinda Arde. See my sidebar for a link to her website.
 
Stay tuned for k is for......
 
Till next time
 
Sharon x
 
Image source: Image 2 Veranda Mag, Images 5, 10 25 & 32 Own pictures, Image 11 via Design Chic, Image 16 Tone on Tone, Image 37 Belinda Arde, all other images via pinterest and Tumblr
 





9 comments:

  1. I haven't commented before, but I have to tell you how much I am enjoying this series. It's good to know I'm not the only one who loves looking at beautiful objects and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crazy about your jugs, they are all just amazing and each one beautiful in it's own way!! Do love the ones with flowers in them, so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,
    Your paintings are great. I wish I could paint or draw. There were several jugs I'd love to own. Such great examples and versatility where their use is concerned.
    Enjoy your weekend.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon, Your collection is beautiful as are your paintings. Your husbands comment is so funny;) and I know he is proud of your work. I have a small collection of pitchers and use them for flowers or display. There is something about lining them up.. love it! xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pitchers and jugs and use them for so many things, like the one you show with wooden spoons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love white pitchers and jugs....so many pretty images!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon

    I find I am always drawn to old ironstone pitchers as well, but I keep telling myself I am trying to pare down rather than start another collection!!

    Beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your paintings are so beautiful! Love this collection of white jugs! Thanks for the inspiration!

    South Bank carpet cleaners

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon, I love all those pitchers. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. I have been having trouble with GFC and if I am already following you, and you following me, please forgive me. If not, please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete